Friday, October 7, 2011

Canning Salsa

If you are into canning, and into salsa
this recipe will make your life 10 times better!
This salsa makes Spaghetti, Chili, Enchilada's (etc) all the more tasty!
And is also my favorite thing on the planet to eat.

This year I doubled what I usually make, just to be sure I had enough to last me all year!
(And I am still concerned I didn't do enough.)


1 batch makes from 20-25 pints.

8 quarts (1/2 bushel) peeled tomatoes
3 cloves Garlic
7 large Onions
7 Green Peppers
7 large Anihiem Peppers
7 Jalapeno's
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 1/2 TBS Sugar
2 1/2 TBS Salt
2 TBS Accent
1/2 TBS Black Pepper
1 heaping cup Ultra Set

Scald and peel tomatoes.
Chop tomatoes in food processor, and place in large cooking pan on stove top.
Then chop all vegetables (as well as garlic) in food processor, and add to tomatoes.
Add all other ingredients, except for the ultra set.
Combine well, and let cook on stove top for 1+ hours.

Add ultra set, and mix well, dissolving any clumps.
Place salsa in jars.

Boil jar lids on stove for 5-10 minutes, then place on jars.

Place jars in pressure cooker, or large pot, filling with water about a 1 1/2 inches below rim of jar.
Also add about a half cup of vinegar to keep jars sterilized.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat, and cook for 20 minutes.
Repeat process until all jars are cooked.

Let jars cool, and be sure all have sealed.

Store, eat, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, your recipe is pretty similar to mine too! Looks delicious. We only use it to eat with chips, so this advice may not be good for you. BUT, my family discovered that we dont take the time to peel the tomatoes, because it gets all chopped up fine anyways.. and it tastes the exact same, doesn't retain as much water, and saves A TON of time! So I dunno.. maybe next year try it out :)

    Shayla

    P.S It won't let me ever post a comment on your blog, so Im trying it as anonymous..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shayla! I will have to try it like that! Peeling them is the worst!

    And Kathryn tells me the same thing about commenting on here. . . . I don't know why it does that sometimes, weird.
    :)

    ReplyDelete