Wednesday, October 5, 2011

something old, something borrowed, something new

So I will share a short story with you.

Once upon a time, I had an eating disorder.
This lasted all too long, and took a toll on my teeth.

{I have never talked about my eating disorder on here, but I one day will,
Just not today.  
Today will be about how it affected my teeth.}

Sad story, but I will face the facts.
I am 24 years old.
I now have had 4 teeth pulled, three implants, and countless root canals.
I was talking to my dentist the other day, and apologized for never having a 
"normal" dentist appointment.  It was always some kind of emergency.

The week of my wedding, I woke up to swollen gums above 
one of my front(ish) teeth. The tooth was dead.

My dentist, once again saving the day, was able to fix it for me.
He told me the fix was temporary, but we'd see how long it could last.

So now we flash forward to a little over a year later.
I was sitting in my sink, getting ready for work, and feel my front(ish) tooth 
fall out of my mouth.
SERIOUSLY!
Like your worst nightmare come true!
I was in major panic, and called my dad.
(Yes, I still call my dad in state of emergency, I didn't know what else to do)
He said to drive up, and he'd call my dentist.

I woke up Jordan, and explained to him my tradgedy, then called my work, 
and drove up to my parents.
My loving dentist got me in, put me back together, and we
talked about my options.

Short time after, I was back to the oral surgeon.
(Who might I add is also one of my favorite people ever! 
Lets just say when you have had 4 teeth pulled, 
your doctors make it pretty high on your list of favorites.)
I now was given a temporary front tooth.

Finally, what seemed to be a long 6 months later, while I was in Utah this 
last month, my dentist finished the job.
I didn't take a real before and after picture, which in some ways I wish I did,
and in other ways, I never want to see a toothless me again, 
here is what I could come up with.

My old, temporary, and new teeth.




I {heart} my doctors.

5 comments:

  1. Oh brookie cookie! Emily told me about your tooth crisis during your weddings, and I'll be honest, I never even noticed! You were and are as beautiful as ever!! I am glad that your tooth-job was finally finished!! :) They look perfect!!

    Love, Kathryn Marie!
    (my work computer doesn't allow me to comment under my name.. weird.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You my poor little thing have been through a lot. I'm so happy for you that you finally have a beautiful finished product! Thanks for the laughs along the way :) They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Brooke those look great! Who is your doctor? My teeth need some serious help too, I am so scared my temporaries are going to fall out one day soon and they are discolored and awful. I was always afraid of having huge, fake, weird, my lips get snagged on, veneer teeth, and you have given me so much hope! I might have to email you with a list of questions!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alisa:
    Jason Hess is my dentist. He is in my parents ward, and is seriously the greatest! I have porceline(?) caps on the front six now, and he said they won't discolor or anything! You should go to him, he really is the best! :)

    Emily & Kathryn:
    I am a poor soul. I never let Jordan even see me with my missing tooth. It was too terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new teeth are beautiful! Congratulations on your recovery from your eating disorder. From what I understand, it can be a difficult road.

    ReplyDelete